A wise woman once said, “One can never have enough vegan mac and cheese recipes.”
That wise woman was me.
This cheese sauce contains a number of secret ingredients: SUNFLOWER SEEDS, CARROTS, and PARSNIPS.
These ingredients mainly aid to ward off demons.
Oh, and they’re pretty nutritious and tasty too.
With dandelion greens and its bright tangy flavor, this man n cheese is a great way to transition from winter to spring!
Another bonus is that the cheese sauce is versatile. I’ve used it in tofu scramble and as a veggie dip, so there are a number of ways to incorporate this demon averting sauce into your routine!
Total Time: 1 hour, plus soaking
Makes 8 servings
1 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup water
1 medium parsnip
2 medium carrots
3/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/3 cup dijon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 lb of pasta
1 bunch dandelion greens
- Soak the sunflower seeds for 4 hours or overnight
- Peel the carrots and parsnips and wrap in tin foil. Roast at 450 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until soft.
- Place all ingredients (except for the pasta and dandelion greens) into a blender and blend on high until smooth. Dilute with more water if needed (be wary that this might tame down the flavor).
- Cook pasta according to directions. Leave the pasta a little al dente because it will be cooked in the sauce.
- After draining the pasta, place pasta back into pot and turn the burner to medium heat. Mix in the sauce and chopped dandelion greens until the dandelion greens are wilted and the sauce is warm.
- Serve and enjoy. 🙂
*I used chickpea pasta for added protein, but most varieties should work.