If you have run out of ways to consume as much purple color as possible (research suggests that consuming the color purple protects against demon possessions, werewolf bites, and faerie kidnappings), then look no further!
This recipe is simple to make, yet has a complex flavor from the sweet beets, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. And, of course, it is a beautiful purple color and can prevent against a number of supernatural ailments!
Total Time: 1 hour (including beet roasting), Active Time: 10 minutes
Makes 4 servings
2 medium beets
3/4 cup blanched almonds
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
3 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon olive oil
8 oz of angel hair pasta
Parsley, for garnish
- Roast the beets. After trimming the leaves off, wrap the beets in tinfoil and bake at 450 degrees for 40-50 minutes. Peel and roughly chop the beets once they are cool enough to handle.
- Saute the garlic on medium heat in a nonstick pan for 3 minutes or until browned. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- While the garlic is cooking, start boiling a pot of water for the pasta. Cook pasta according to the package instructions.
- Place the almonds in a food processor or high speed blender. Process until almonds crumble. Do not over process. You still want to keep some texture.
- Place the beets, vinegar, garlic, and salt in the food processor or blender with the almonds, and process until combined. Again, you want to keep some of the texture.
- When the pasta is finished and drained, place the pasta back in the pot. Add 1 teaspoon of oil to pasta (this helps prevent sticking), and mix thoroughly.
- Add the sauce directly to the pot with the pasta (just make sure your Italian grandmother is not watching), and heat until everything is warm.
- Top with parsley and enjoy. 🙂