MOVE OVER PUMPKIN. IT’S CRANBERRY SEASON.
When most people think of cranberries, they usually think of the dried and sweetened ones. Those are good and all, but have you ever had a fresh one?
If you have, you know they are the warheads of fruits. The reason that they’re usually dried and sweetened is because they are nearly inedible (unless you like sour candy that is) due to their intense sourness.
BUT they taste great in baked goods (and, of course, homemade cranberry sauce is where it’s at).
Cranberries also have a long history in New Jersey. They’re native to the Pine Barrens, a heavily wooded region in southern New Jersey. That means that the Jersey Devil probably feasted on these little beauties on his night runs terrorizing the populace.
You can pretend you are the Jersey Devil flying over the pines and taking a snack of cranberries before finishing your meal with some livestock.*
Or, you can just enjoy cranberries in these tart and lightly spiced muffins.
Makes 8-10 Muffins
Total Time: 35 minutes, Active Time: 15 minutes
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 unsweetened plant milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 pinch of nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
zest of 1 lemon
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup chopped cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a cupcake/muffin tray with at least 8 liners.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar, molasses, and almond butter. Add the walnut milk and vanilla and mix.
- Add in the spices, salt, and lemon zest and mix until combined.
- Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients. Add the flour about 1/3 cup at a time, mixing in between add-ins. With the last 1/3 cup of flour, add in the baking powder.
- Fold in the chopped cranberries.
- Fill in the cupcake liners. Fill to the top if you want bigger muffins with muffin tops or 3/4ths full if you want smaller muffins.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, depending on the size of your muffins. You can check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into a muffin and checking if the toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the muffins are finished baking, remove from the oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes.
*JK the Jersey Devil is obviously vegan.
**You can sub the all purpose flour for spelt flour or you can use half whole wheat and half all purpose for a heartier muffin.
***Aluminum liners work better than paper liners for this recipe.